Quality Matters (QM)
Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online courses and online components. Sponsored by MarylandOnline, Quality Matters has generated widespread interest and received national recognition for its peer-based approach to quality assurance and continuous improvement in online education.
The materials found on this website are used with the express consent of MarylandOnline@2014. All rights reserved.
Quality Matters processes benefit both individual faculty and their institutions. Austin Community College and Faculty will benefit greatly from implementing Quality Matters in the following ways:
- Improved student learning outcomes and retention
- Adoption of a systematic and comprehensive continuous quality assurance process that includes faculty training, course development, and course revisions that are aligned with accreditation standards
- Incorporation of new technologies and research findings
- Opportunity to engage in benchmarking activities with peer institutions
- Ongoing faculty professional development
- Increased flexibility, creativity, and divergent thinking
- Increased efficiency in using institutional resources
QM Program Components
QM is based on nationally recognized best practices and built on the expertise of instructional designers and experienced online teachers. QM consists of three primary components:
- The QM Rubric
- The Course Review Process
- QM Professional Development Opportunities for Faculty – Applying the Quality Matters Rubric Workshop (APPQMR) is available for all ACC Faculty teaching online and hybrid courses.