Faculty Talent Onboarding
The Teaching & Learning Excellence Division (TLED) has partnered with Human Resources (HR) to create an experience for new faculty like no other. Our comprehensive orientation and onboarding program delivers online and monthly sessions to brand new adjunct and full-time faculty. This semester-long program is designed to launch you into a successful career here at Austin Community College (ACC) and bring ease to your first semester of many here with us.
For any questions, please email the Office of Faculty Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring 2021 Monthly Onboarding Sessions
Open to ALL ACC Faculty
Session 4: Teaching and Learning Strategies
Description: Faculty will have the opportunity to connect with their colleagues and faculty mentors to learn from successes and overcome challenges faced as a new faculty member. Faculty will engage with one another reflecting on their semester. Faculty will leave with best practices and ways to make their next semester even more successful.
Friday, 5/7 from 9:00am – 11:30am. Meeting link coming soon.
Wednesday, 5/12 from 5:30pm – 8:00pm. Meeting link coming soon.
Session is open to ALL ACC faculty.
Teaching Consultations & Support
The Teaching & Learning Excellence Division (TLED) and the Office of Distance & Alternative Education (ODAE) provide comprehensive support in course design, technology tools for teaching, and other high-impact practices that contribute to our Guided Pathways model at Austin Community College (ACC). We are available for various types of consultations to provide just-in-time assistance and support for your teaching. Review our robust options by visiting:
Spring 2021 Orientation Completed
Below are the orientation materials and resources for Spring 2021 onboarding activities.
Implementing a Faculty Orientation & Onboarding Program to Increase Student Success
Chelsea Biggerstaff and Michelle Fitzpatrick presented on the faculty talent onboarding at ACC. Participants discussed ways to improve their onboarding process and heard faculty testimonials.
Note: Presentation begins at 23:35
To fulfill the educational mission of Austin Community College, we, the faculty, champion the following shared values:
- We support a Culture of Collaboration, Community Building, and Service with our students, colleagues, and the greater community
- We Advocate Access, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- We Promote Academic Freedom, Freedom of Expression, and Empowerment
- We Advance Scholarship, Learning, and the Assessment of our Work
- We Support Student Success through Exemplary Teaching & Lifelong Learning
As we embody these values, we cultivate an environment of mutual trust, esteem, and respect.
As a faculty, we have defined each of our values with clarifying statements and examples of potential ways to envision our values in action. These examples are not inclusive of ways our faculty can demonstrate our values.
Faculty Onboarding Orientation Archive
Onboarding session 1 is complete for Spring 2021.
Description: Faculty will be invited to learn more about the College, their colleagues, and their students. Faculty members new to ACC will have the opportunity to find key points of contact in the College and develop solutions to early challenges.
Session is open to ALL ACC faculty.
- Learn about ACC’s Mission, Faculty Values, and Student Success Program AND how you can support them.
- Get a better understanding of the diverse ACC student body and how Pathways supports student success.
- Connect and collaborate with your faculty colleagues while developing a stronger sense of belonging here at ACC.
- Increase your understanding of important contact people and the resources they can provide. *A focus on Department Chairs, Campus Managers, Deans of Student Affairs, Mentors.
Onboarding session 2 is complete for Spring 2021.
Description: Faculty will receive information about ACC’s evaluation and portfolio process, specific departmental and College-wide requirements. This interactive session will get faculty members thinking about their syllabi, teaching philosophies, and future growth as educators.
Session is open to ALL ACC faculty
- Be prepared to participate in the faculty evaluation process.
- Begin to develop a plan for the teaching portfolio.
- Examine some faculty challenges and develop strategies to handle them.
- Develop one well-defined goal for future growth in teaching for Professional Development Plan (PDP).
Onboarding session 3 is complete for Spring 2021.
Description: Faculty will be exposed to resources from ACC and beyond that support student success. Faculty will meet with 12-15 different student support departments to connect and learn about these valuable resources.
Friday, 4/9 from 9:00 – 11:30am. Meeting link coming soon.
Wednesday, 4/14 from 5:30pm – 8:00pm. Meeting link coming soon.
Learn about resources for student success from ACC.
- Meet with representatives from 12-14 Faculty/Student support services.
- Develop ideas about how to use student support resources in your teaching.
- Colleague to colleague discussion time on student success strategies.
Fall 2020 orientation sessions are complete. Here’s what our participants thought about our sessions:
“I honestly can’t say enough good about this experience! Every presenter was engaging and knowledgeable. I really thought you guys did a great job!”
“Awesome, engaging, thoughtfully designed!”
“It has definitely made more proud and excited to be an ACC professor.”
Faculty Talent Onboarding Alumni
Faculty that complete all components of the Faculty Talent Onboarding program earn a certificate of completion.