ACC believes in recognizing those faculty who demonstrate outstanding teaching. The following awards are coordinated through the Faculty Development: ACC Teaching Excellence, the John and Suanne Roueche Excellence Award, eFaculty of the Year Award, the NISOD Excellence Award, and the Minnie L. Stevens Piper Award nominations. Visit the ACC Annual Awards Dinner page for the 2019 award recipients.
This award recognizes an outstanding ACC Faculty member who has creatively utilized appropriate Internet-based technologies to teach online and/or hybrid courses in ACC. The recipient must have designed and taught one or more online or hybrid courses with an imaginative approach, well-designed course materials, instructional strategies, and a demonstrated rapport with the course participants. The recipient is presented with an award at the annual ACC Awards Dinner in the Spring. The recipient will also be sponsored to a distance learning conference in 2018. Nominations are made by faculty, instructional designers, and students.
1. Course Design – The nominee has created a well designed and structured course – (structure, weekly/module/unit learning objectives and instructional strategies).
2. Interaction and Collaboration – The nominee has demonstrated rapport with learners as well as other course participants (student/student and faculty/student interaction and collaboration).
3. Course Technology and Media value – The nominee has implemented a creative approach to one or more emerging instructional challenges through the use of technological tools – (tools and media to enhance student interaction and engagement).
4. Assessment- The nominee has demonstrated effectiveness in achieving desired learning outcomes by aligning assessments with course objectives – (assessing student learning outcomes in alignment with course objectives).
Courses must also score 85% on the Quality Matters Rubric: https://www.qualitymatters.org/sites/default/files/PDFs/StandardsfromtheQMHigherEducationRubric.pdf
Upon receipt, nominations will be evaluated by a selection panel made up of instructional designers, faculty, and students. The panel, to be convened by the Distance Learning Committee, will evaluate and select an exemplary online course using a rubric based upon the four selection criteria above.
ACC Teaching Excellence Awards honor full-time and adjunct faculty who promote special learning opportunities, student interaction, and innovation. Other criteria are depth/breadth of knowledge in subject area and a profound teaching philosophy. Recipients are presented with an award at the Awards Dinner and have an opportunity to be recognized at commencement. Full-time and Adjunct faculty recipents each receive a $1000 cash award. Nominations are made by faculty, staff and students. Award winners will be recognized at the Awards Dinner in April.
In recognition of the long tradition of excellence in community college teaching and leadership, the John & Suanne Roueche Excellence Awards celebrate outstanding contributions and leadership by community college faculty and staff. Selected by a committee, recipients will be recognized at an Awards Dinner at ACC and have the opportunity to attend the League for Innovations Conference in the Spring.
The National Institute for Organizational Development (NISOD) Excellence Award program was established to support individual colleges’ recognition and celebration of their finest instructors. At its annual conference, NISOD recognizes more than 1,000 Excellence Awards recipients by formally presenting them with an excellence medallion and an awards booklet that recognizes and showcases their achievements. Every year, selected ACC faculty and staff receive recognition and are awarded the NISOD Excellence Award. For more information about the NISOD award, visit http://www.nisod.org/?q=products/excellence-awards. View the complete list of past Austin Community College recipients:
Sabbatical leave is a privilege that is intended to benefit both the college and the employee. The President may grant this leave to staffing table employees. Leave may be granted for the purpose of personal and/or professional improvement, which will in turn benefit the college, through activities such as formal and informal study, acquisition of new skills, or keeping abreast of new technologies, research, and community service. Sabbatical Applications for Sabbatical leave* to be taken in FY19 are due on November 17, 2017 in the Faculty Development Office, c/o Marian Moore.
*Sabbatical leave is taken in the Fiscal year after application year. That is, if a Sabbatical leave application is requested in November of FY 18, it is for leave which will occur in FY 19.
For questions about Sabbatical leave, contact Marian Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org. Source: Administrative Rule 4.05.001 Sabbatical Leave
Guidelines/Procedures for AR 4.05.001 Sabbatical Leave: http://www.austincc.edu/admrule/4.05.001Guideline-Procedure.htm
Leadership Award nominations deadline is November 20, 2017. Award winners will be announced in January and recognized at the Awards Dinner in April. An employee may be nominated for the following based on their job classification.
- Classified Employee of the Year Award
- Professional-Technical Employee of the Year Award
- Administrator of the Year Award
- Faculty Leader of the Year Award
Nominees for Classified Employee, Professional-Technical Employee, Administrator, and Faculty Leader of the Year awards should be those individuals who have gone above and beyond the duties listed in their job descriptions. They may:
- Serve as mentors to their colleagues or staff members
- Provide assistance beyond their normal duties to aid their department or the institution as a whole
- Volunteer to help with institution-wide projects
- Encourage their staff or colleagues to enhance their education and/or their professional skills
- Provide superior internal and external customer service
- Support the institution in a positive and optimistic manner
- Represent the institution in a professional manner
- Consistently seek improvement of their own skills
WHAT AWARD WINNERS RECEIVE
Award winners will be honored at a reception and will receive the following:
- A letter of thanks/congratulations from the President/CEO
- Recognition at a Board of Trustees meeting
- Recognition at Awards Dinner in April
- A reserved parking space for one year at their campus
President’s Leadership Excellence Award
The recipient of this award is selected by the President/CEO for their outstanding leadership, service and dedication to Austin Community College. These individuals have been selected because of their outstanding service to the college that has gone beyond the duties listed in their job description.
The Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation is a prestigious statewide award honoring ten professors each academic year for their dedication to the teaching profession and for their outstanding academic, scientific, and scholarly achievement. Honorees are awarded certificates naming them “Piper Professors” together with cash honoraria of $5000.00 for each professor selected.
Criteria for nominees:
- Current additional or administrative duties
- Service to the off-campus community
- Particular effectiveness in the classroom and in personal contact with students
- Unusual dedication to the profession of teaching
Once selected and notified, ACC’s nominee must submit a Piper Professor Nomination application to the Piper Foundation and the Foundation will officially announce award winners by May 2019. To honor the nominee, regardless of selection by the Piper Foundation, the Faculty Development will give the nominee a free registration to TCCTA’s Round-Up for Great Teaching in May 2019 and recognition at the annual ACC Awards Dinner in April. You can review what the selected nominee will have to compile once they are chosen by ACC’s committee at: https://comptroller.texas.gov/programs/education/msp/funding/programs/ppnominationform.php
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact the Faculty Development, at 512-223-7885 or via email at email@example.com.
For any questions about the awards, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org