Faculty Handbook Review Project
Our handbooks provide a detailed overview of policies, procedures, and guidelines specific to Austin Community College (ACC). In 2018, we identified the need for significant revision and updates of the ACC Faculty Handbook, and TLED subsequently became the process holder for this document, assigning the work of coordination to our Senior Faculty Publications Editor.
With many College changes and shifts throughout the Pathways initiatives, the Faculty Handbook required a significant overhaul, and we convened a small workgroup with representation from staff in key content areas: Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and Administrative Services. We needed to ensure information was updated for such matters as Culturally Responsive Teaching, Areas of Study, Program Maps, Student Support, and changes in Student Affairs processes.
The workgroup collected updated content and recommended a process for review and maintenance of the handbook. Other considerations included aligning or merging alternative handbooks for faculty (e.g., Distance Education, Faculty Evaluation, Experiential Learning), clarification of differing faculty resources (e.g., handbooks, guidelines, Administrative Rules), and unique information for faculty librarians and faculty counselors.
During 2019, the workgroup members reviewed their respective content areas and submitted updated material for editing and formatting. A DRAFT was submitted in March 2020—just before the pandemic and its subsequent disruption. The COVID-19 pandemic delayed our review process. In May 2021, TLED’s Faculty Communications team took ownership of the review and updating process. Faculty were asked for feedback on the draft, while the updated content was added to a new and searchable website. Note: Content was not created for this project, rather it was curated so that all faculty rules, guidelines, and responsibilities could be found in one place.
The final online Faculty Handbook was launched in October 2021. Annual reviews will take place each Summer, with final updates completed before faculty begin work in the Fall semesters.
- Ongoing: Critical updates as Administrative Rules and College processes change
- October 20, 2021: Launched new online Faculty Handbook
- August 1, 2021: Soft launch of online Faculty Handbook for review by ACC leadership
- June 10-July 31, 2021: Completed updates and developed online Faculty Handbook
- June 10-July 15, 2021: Solicited faculty feedback on the drafted handbook
- March 2020-May 2021: COVID-19 pandemic interrupted project timeline
- March 2020: Draft submitted for review
- July 2019-February 2020: Workgroup collected updated content and recommended a process for review and maintenance of the handbook
- June 2019: Convened a small workgroup with representation from employees in key content areas: Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and Administrative Services
- 2018: Identified the need for significant revision and updates of the Faculty Handbook
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.