Distance Education Tech Tools and Tips
Distance education faculty support includes technologies to support teaching and learning.
Need Help Integrating Tech into Your Course?
The Teaching & Learning Excellence Division (TLED) and the Office of Distance & Alternative Education (ODAE) provide comprehensive support in course design, technology tools for teaching, and other high-impact practices that contribute to our Guided Pathways model at Austin Community College (ACC). We are available for various types of consultations to provide just-in-time assistance and support for your teaching. Review our robust options by visiting:
Google Apps for Education
Tips for Integrating Technology
Technology plays an essential role in the delivery of a distance education course. When designing the course, it is important to consider how best to use technology to support course objectives, as well as how to interact and communicate with students at a distance.
1. Think pedagogy first, technology second. How does the technology used support the course’s learning objectives? Define exactly what it is you want your students to do first, then choose technologies that will support the activity.
2. Consider the technology options. A significant part of the distance education course design process is determining how to use technology in ways that promote interactivity and communication. What Blackboard features will you use? Will students be required to participate in discussion forums or web conferences? Will course materials incorporate audio, streaming video, podcasts, YouTube clips? Will you encourage online study groups? Will you offer online office hours via chat, Google Meet, or Zoom? Will secure computer-based testing be used? And what—if any—additional training will you need?
3. Student technology access. In order for students to successfully complete a distance education course, they must meet minimum technical proficiencies. Make sure all technology requirements are explained in the online syllabus, especially if students will need special computer software or advanced technical skills.
Faculty Events Calendar
View our Faculty Events Calendar for:
- Upcoming professional development opportunities
- Important College dates & deadlines
- Self-paced & archived training
This calendar is interactive and offers users the ability to sort by topic as well as overlap events with your Google Calendar. Bookmark this URL for quick access: tled.austincc.edu/calendar.
Get event updates in your inbox weekly.