Getting your semester started can take some planning but there’s plenty of support. Do you have a suggestion for this page? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates for Fall 2022
For a list of all the support options for faculty, please visit the Teaching Consultations & Support page.
ACC Branded Google Sites Templates Available
Learn how to access ACC branded Google Sites templates by reviewing these instructions. You will need to use your ACC credentials to access the templates.
ACC Library Services
Austin Community College recognizes that faculty, staff, and students may use names other than their legal name to identify themselves. The College has created a process in order to allow students to request use of a chosen first name where possible within the College’s records and systems. Legal names will continue to be used when necessary for College business or legal purposes.
Distance Education (DE) Proctoring
- Review the DE Proctoring Overview
- Provide the information in the Student Appt Confirmation Email Example to your students well in advance of your first exam.
- Encourage (or require) students to complete the installation of Class and the System & Settings Check a minimum of two (2) days prior to the appointment. Failure to do this BEFORE the testing session will result in the removal of the student.
- Review and verify that each section of your instructional website contains up-to-date information.
- Update all out-of-date information and broken hyperlinks.
- If the Instructional Web team manages your website, submit a request for updates to content and/or broken links.
- Prepare all your course materials ahead of the beginning of the semester to ensure they are accessible.
- Request captioning of all videos. Any questions can be sent to email@example.com.
- Add Interpreters to Blackboard as Students. Any questions regarding interpreters, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Master Syllabus Template Updated
From Ron Johns, Associate Dean, Assessment & Evaluation: As we return to a broader variety of in-person services and instruction on campus this fall, the master syllabus template has needed modification. The health and safety protocols, as well as a number of other sections, have been revised to reflect the situation as it is expected to be this fall semester. The updated template is available on the master syllabus website. Obviously, conditions may change, so please emphasize to your students that they should check the relevant websites for the most current information.
If you have any questions, please email Ron Johns, email@example.com.
Media Services is now Educational Technology Support
The Faculty & Instructional Support Specialists (FISS) located on each campus are now Educational Technologists and the team collectively has changed from Media Services to Educational Technology (EdTech) Support. Using one central phone number, connect to the first team member available for help with classroom A/V, checking out equipment, and teaching technology – 512-223-0111.
With the fall semester, departments may need to update their AoS program map(s) to reflect any changes to the contact information or program description for AY23. Please review this message with all the links and instructions for updating a current program map and/or creating a new program map. Any questions about program maps can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request the Respondus 4.0 Software
Share the Student Support & Services Page
ACC students have access to free support and services – from tutors and academic coaches to advisors and career and transfer specialists. Please share the Student Support page with your students.
Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
- Prepare all your course materials ahead of the beginning of the semester to ensure they are accessible. For example, adding alt-text to any images and captioning to media with audio.
- ALL videos you plan to share in class must be captioned.
- Review the information here about semester preparation and faculty responsibilities when working with students with disabilities.
- Contact SAS. If you have questions about anything SAS-related, please email SAS@austincc.edu.
- Students have a right to confidentiality. If you need to have a discussion with them about their accommodations, do so in private.
- Use Blackboard Ally to test your Blackboard documents to make sure they are accessible.
- Respond to emails from SAS staff promptly.
- Participate in semester planning meetings for our blind and visually impaired students when requested.
- Your students deserve to know more about what opportunities are available to them outside of the classroom, and Student Life is here to help! Book an (in-person/virtual) classroom presentation for the start of each semester by completing our Student Life Staff Collaboration Request form, TODAY! Are YOU seeking ways to connect with your students outside of the classroom? Claim Your Free MySL account at austincc.edu/mysl! You can learn more about the various student-led organizations, events, and activities available to build a richer connection with ACC Riverbats.
- If you’re looking for students to connect to your course work on a deeper level, consider working with your students to start a student organization! Consider becoming a student organization advisor and learn more by clicking here.
- Consider nominating one of your graduating students for the Chancellor’s Student Achievement Award (CSAA). The CSAA is the most prestigious award earned by a graduating student. Nominations open on August 22, 2022.
- Do you know students that want to get involved, but don’t know where to start? Share the Student Life Connect Card with them, and we will plug them into the co-curricular experience at ACC! One of the many services we offer is access to the on-campus Food Pantry, so spread the word!
Transfer support is available year-round to help your students plan their upcoming transfer. Visit austincc.edu/transfer to learn about available resources.
- Interested in having Transfer Services present to your class? Request a presentation by filling out this form.
- Fall 2022 Transfer Week is scheduled for the week of September 12. Updates will be posted soon at austincc.edu/transferweek. There will be in-person and virtual options. Encourage students to participate in these workshops, panels, and events.
Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
The Quality Enhancement Plan has been developed and is headed towards the implementation stage. The Quality Enhancement Plan is developed in accordance with the required SACSCOC (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges) accreditation process every 10 years. ACC’s second QEP is anchored around ‘Digital Fluency.’ Enrolled ACC students will soon be able to earn free microcredentials in Digital Fluency in a self-paced online format. To learn more, watch this video or visit the QEP website.
Teaching Online at ACC
Visit the Teaching Online at ACC page for comprehensive information on ACC Distance Education including detailed information on distance education teaching modes, Quality Matters, early intervention requests, and more.
Distance Education Semester Prep Checklist
Upload your Syllabus
Check Out Equipment
Do you need a webcam, ipad or headset? The Office of Academic Technology has these and many other items available for check out – See the complete list. Faculty can visit their campus Faculty Resource Center (FRC)/Teaching & Learning Center (TLC) to check out technology. Visit Check Out Equipment for more details.
Expert Faculty Librarians are available for:
- Teaching online and in-person information literacy (IL) sessions during your class time or asynchronously to address learning outcomes.
- Connecting you and your students to resources, including ebooks, databases, electronic journals, OER, and streaming media.
- Creating custom online research guides, instructional videos, and online activities to introduce students to library resources.
- Collaborating with classroom faculty on assignments, library instruction, syllabus design, and research tools.
First Day Classes
First Day is a program where the cost of digital course materials is included with students’ class fees for a particular class or program. Students will have access to course materials from the very first day. For more information visit the First Day Classes page for students.
Faculty Events Calendar
View our Faculty Events Calendar for:
- Upcoming professional development opportunities
- Important College dates & deadlines
- Self-paced & archived training
This calendar is interactive and offers users the ability to sort by topic as well as overlap events with your Google Calendar. Bookmark this URL for quick access: tled.austincc.edu/calendar.
Get event updates in your inbox weekly.
To get the latest announcements on funding opportunities and other teaching and learning related events subscribe to the TLED weekly newsletter.